Deon Viljoen of DOCRRA (Dolphin Coast Residents & Ratepayers Association) writes:
Two initiatives were performed recently to address the proposed KwaDukuza Municipality (KDM) budget for 2020/2021. One was the petition submitted by the community and the other, the submission by DOCRRA followed by the engagement and negotiation with KDM to follow a sustainable long-term route. The combination of both these initiatives created a successful outcome.
The outcome of the Alignment Workshop, which was held recently at the Umhlali Country Club, resulted in both parties agreeing that it was important that we work together, with common goals, in the interest of the residents and ratepayers. It was agreed that there are several urgent issues to address and that an action list, of the most critical ones at present, be drawn up and actioned as soon as possible.
For any involvement to be effective and sustainable, it requires objective leadership, and teamwork, that embraces our entire community and all its key requirements.
At the meeting DOCRRA held with the KDM executive, KDM expressed a willingness to engage with us on a collaborative basis, and we now need to embrace this opportunity. They also acknowledged their weaknesses and have shown a willingness to address these.
DOCRRA is made up of a small executive committee of volunteers who devote a lot of time and effort to look after our interests on the Dolphin Coast. DOCRRA is also the recognised representative for the residents and ratepayers of the Dolphin Coast. This task is enormous, and we appeal to the residents and ratepayers to offer your help.
What DOCRRA needs:
- To build the capacity of DOCRRA by the residents and ratepayers becoming active members and providing relevant input.
- More volunteers to join the DOCRRA executive committee and sub-committees, to help form opinion and position on issues and then address them.
- To work more closely with our Ward Councilors and other community organisations to ensure that the issues get addressed and escalated within KDM.
- We need to meet and engage with KDM officials on a regular basis.
How can you help:
- Join DOCRRA – Family annual membership is R200. To join, please go to:
Your membership strengthens DOCRRA’s influence and enables it to research and engage with all parties and give access and information to YOU.
- Volunteer your services. Send your name and contact details to email@example.com with a brief outline of where you live, how you think you can help, and your time available. You will be contacted to explore this further. There is room for everyone.